Whether you are looking for an diamond engagement ring, a diamond pendant or diamond studs, there is a lot more to diamonds that you may not know.
The 4 C’s
Often considered the most important feature of a diamond, the cut determines its brilliance or the amount of light that is reflected.
When a diamond is cut too shallow, the light that enters comes out of the bottom. When a diamond is cut too deep, the light reflects out through the side. However, when a diamond has the ideal cut, the maximum amount of light is reflected through the top of the diamond, making it brilliant and sparkly.
D being colorless and Z light yellow, white diamonds are graded on alphabetical order depending on their color. A colorless diamond, D color, is very rare and more expensive. Because slight color is not noticeable to the naked eye, choosing a diamond that is between G-J is less expensive than higher grading and almost colorless.
Because most diamonds contain a few minor flaws that affect their clarity, they are labeled according the the amount and nature of the inclusion. For example:
- FL or IF (lawless & internally flawless, respectively): The diamond contains no flaws when viewed under 10x magnification.
- VVS1 & VVS2 (Very, very slightly included): The diamond has tiny inclusions that are hard to see at 10x magnification.
- VS1 & VS2 (Very slightly included): These diamonds have inclusions that are only visible under 10x magnification.
- SI1 & SI2 (Slightly included): At this level, the diamond has inclusions that may be visible to the naked eye.
- I1, I2 & I3 (Included or imperfect): The inclusions are clearly visible to the naked eye.
The size of a diamond is measured as carat weight. Since large diamonds are more rare, the price of the diamond increases exponentially as their size and weight increases. For instance a 2 ct diamond may cost 4 times as much as a 1 ct diamond of the same quality.
From cushion to round diamond, Solomon Brothers has a wide variety of diamond shapes to choose from.
Round diamonds are the only shape of diamond with the dimensions that are necessary to be the most brilliant. While modern brides choose different shape diamond for their engagement ring, round is still the most popular shape.